Why a Licence is Required
Any person wishing to keep reptiles (snakes, lizards or turtles) are by law, required to hold a Recreational Wildlife Licence. This allows the Government to keep track of the animals being sold by breeders and to regulate illegal practises; such as the unlicensed removal of reptiles from the wild. Licences are issued through Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP).
To be Granted a Licence You Must:
- Be 13 years of age or over - a legal guardian???s details and signature will be required for applicants under the age of 18 (i.e. between the age of 13 -18)
- Complete and submit an application form - which you can download from the website (www.ehp.qld.gov.au). Search for ???Recreational wildlife licence (birds, reptiles, amphibians)??? and click on the appropriate links to download the form.
- Pay a fee - Check with the Permits and Licensing Unit (Brisbane) Ph: 1300 130 372 for pricing. It could be anywhere around $70 - $90 or more; this will depend on if you just apply for reptiles or if you also wish to be able to keep international reptiles (such as green pythons), certain bird species or amphibians etc. Pricing is subject to change according to EHP???s policies.
While You Wait
It can sometimes take a while for you to receive your licence after submitting the form, but this is the perfect time to prepare for your new reptile. You should start to think about housing needs such as tanks, substrate, heating and lighting equipment, filters for turtles, etc. It is always a good idea to have your complete set up ready and going before you get your reptile to reduce stress on yourself and your reptile during the moving process. Come in and have a chat to our staff for more specific details about housing requirements.
Once You Have Your Licence
Once you have received your licence, come on in and pick up that reptile. Don???t forget that we will need your licence details so please bring your paperwork with you! We must view an original, hard copy of the permit to sell you a reptile.
Pet HQ offers a variety of reptiles including (but not exclusive to):
- Murray River Turtles
- Eastern Blue Tongue Lizards
- Inland/ Central Bearded Dragons
- Pygmy/ Dwarf Bearded Dragons
- Children???s Pythons
- Spotted Pythons
- Blonde Spotted Pythons
- Stimson???s Pythons
- Knob-tail Geckos
Availability is largely dependent on the breeding seasons and our suppliers. See our New Arrivals sections here or call us on (07) 4779 2330 to double check first.
Please note that this information sheet is only intended as a basic guide to assist you. The procedures and fees associated with applying for a reptile licence may change as dependent on the Department of Environment & Heritage Protection.
If you have any further quires regarding reptile licences please contact the Permits and Licensing Unit (Brisbane) Ph: 1300 130 372
WHY PET HQ ?
Pet HQ is not a franchise, we are a locally owned and independent business that is unique to Townsville. By shopping at Pet HQ you are supporting Townsville local businesses, thank you.
Pet Industry Association Member
As a member of PIAA, Pet HQ does not condone puppy farms and we are dedicated to the sourcing of our puppies from responsible breeders that are subject to independent audit each year. By registering our puppies with PIAA we also ensure that any puppy purchased from our store that becomes unwanted or abandoned, at any age, is re-homed. See here for more information.